Sunday, August 17, 2014

[SONG] Songs Making Darker Feeling



Have you ever felt your mood suddenly changes when listening to a certain kind of song? Well, this time I would like to express the songs that often make me feel darker and addicted. It's maybe because of the lyrics, music, or even the singers themselves (I couldn't completely find it out with the particular reason). However, I LOVE the feeling and keep listening to these particular songs on and on. Enjoy!

1. "Team" by Lorde


When I heard "Royals," the first single by Lorde, honestly I didn't really love it. However, when "Team" was released, I was so pleased. I love kind of mood that Lorde brought into this song (and almost all songs in her first album, her voice suits this kind of music). "Team" was my favorite and the darkest.

Lorde (at this time, 17 yo) is such an amazing talent. She was the youngest person to be nominated for the Grammy Award for Record of the Year, with "Royals." I hope she could keep my mood darker. (Seriously, do you guys feel the same?)


2. "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley


God, I freakingly love this song covered by Jeff Buckley. I didn't understand the lyrics (and stopped trying, just enjoyed my confusion). For the first time, I feel dark mood when listening to a religious song. I could not describe my feeling, you just have to listen to this Leonard Cohen's classic by Buckley.

I'm just obsessed. Just a simple song with an electric guitar and mesmerized voice.

I remember that this cover saved the life of Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy when he attempted to suicide because of his depression (two thumps up!).


3. "Paper Planes" by M.I.A.


M.I.A. brought an organic sound in "Paper Planes." This song was highly praised for its blending of political and pop. For me, "Paper Planes" is just an unique song with the usage cash register and shooting sound, leaves me with a street and urban taste. It peaked at #4 on Billboard Hot 100 and nominated for Record of the Year, the 51st Grammy Awards in 2009.


4. "Summertime Sadness" by Lana Del Rey


Well, "Summertime Sadness" is a complete package of darkness: the music, lyrics, and music video. The music? You just need to hear it yourself. The lyrics? Think I'll miss you forever like the stars miss the sun in the morning sky/Later's better than never even if you're gone I'm gonna drive (drive, drive). Okay, the most crucial one, the music video. The music video contains a despair atmosphere, impossible-to-be-together love affair, and suicide because of love. Anything has not been mentioned? However, I love it. I never feel depressed while listening to this song. I just feel dark and happy hahahaha.

P.S. Lana Del Rey is, you know, the kind of singer that sings dark-mood songs (with her voice, it's incredible). She has many songs with an alike "Summertime Sadness" mood, but I'm going to include two more (based on my preference).


5. "Young and Beautiful" by Lana Del Rey (again)


"Young and Beautiful" was an original soundtrack of The Great Gatsby. This song was well done. Lana's voice is like hunting you here. Will you still love me when I'm no longer young and beautiful?
Will you still love me when I got nothing but my aching soul? I know you will, I know you will. It sounds like a threat, right? I know you WILL, I know you WILL. hahahaha.


6. "Once Upon A Dream" by Lana Del Rey (again and again)


Lana transformed sweet and love-at-the-first-sight theme"Once Upon a Dream" in The Sleeping Beauty into a dark one in Maleficent (2014). It's like a song for a nightmare. Most of my friends thought that this song was sung by Maleficent herself (acted by Angelina Jolie). Angelina Jolie personally chose Lana Del Rey to sing it for the movie. I think it's brilliant because of the Gothic theme of the movie.


7. "Shot You Down" by Audio Bullys featuring Nancy Sinatra


"Shot You Down" was taken from "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)" covered by Nancy Sinatra. "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)" was originally sung by Cher and inspired various artists, such as will.i.am and David Guetta, to make a cover or sample it. This Audio Bullys' version is my favorite one.


8. "A Wake" by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis featuring Evan Roman


This song contains lyrics that reflect a modern reality. "A Wake" is so pleasing with incredible Evan Roman's voice. I think it's so simple and original, not really like other rap songs that sometimes contain annoying sound. Well, "I need love/You need love/Give me love and I'll give you my love" sounds fair for me and threatening as well.


9. "My Love" by Sia


I haven't watched The Twilight Saga: New Moon, so I don't know whether this song was quite well for that movie or not. Still, "My Love" is not such a romantic song because its lack of smoothness, but it's composed by emotion, piano-driven melody, and Sia's voice that are contagious to hear at certain level.


10. "Somewhere over the Rainbow" by Judy Garland


Simple because of its mystical feeling. Pleasing and non interchangeable. It's like you're ready to get lost following Dorothy.



Enjoy the playlist and feel darkeeeer!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.